When you’re out in nature with your partner, it’s important to be comfortable when you sleep. There’s nothing quite like snuggling up together, sharing a sleeping bag, and watching the stars. But if you’ve ever tried snuggling in a single sleeping bag, you know that it’s not always the most comfortable sleeping arrangement. That’s where zipping two sleeping bags together comes in.
This simple trick turns two single sleeping bags into one for a cozy camping experience. It’s not complicated, but there are a few things to consider before you try it out.
Why zip sleeping bags together?
One of the best ways to stay toasty on a cold camping trip is to share body heat. That’s where zipping the sleeping bags together comes in. It allows you and your partner to stay close, snuggle up, and keep each other warm throughout the night. Plus, it makes for a more intimate camping experience.
Zipping them together also creates a pocket of warm air between the two bags, providing extra insulation and keeping you even more comfortable. And when warmer weather comes around, you can always unzip them and use each sleeping bag separately.
How to zip two sleeping bags together.
The process of zipping two sleeping bags together will vary depending on the make and model of your bags. However, the general idea is the same.
- Check Compatibility: Ensure the two sleeping bags are compatible for zipping. Typically, the bags have to be from the same brand and series, so the zippers are the same size. One also has to be a left-zip and the other a right-zip. We have a few we recommend later in this post.
- Prepare Sleeping Bags: Now that you know both are compatible, fully unzip both sleeping bags. Lay them out flat, with one bag on top of the other with both inside sides facing inward.
- Align Zippers: Align the zippers of the two bags. One bag’s zipper should meet the other’s zipper at the foot end.
- Start Zipping: Start zipping the bags together from the foot end, ensuring the zippers interlock correctly.
- Continue Zipping: Slowly continue zipping the bags together, moving along the side. Take care not to catch any fabric in the zipper.
- Check Alignment: As you move towards the head end of the bags, ensure that they’re still properly aligned. Adjust if necessary.
- Finish Zipping: Once you reach the head end, fully zip the bags together.
- Check Seams: Make sure the seams are secure and there’s no gap between the two bags.
And that’s it. The process is completely straightforward and takes only a few minutes, but the rewards are endless. If you’re still lost, we have a video that might be able to help you out.
Some of our favorite zip-together sleeping bags.
Don’t have a sleeping bag yet? That’s fine because we’ve compiled a list of some of the best zip-together sleeping bags on the market for your next camping adventure.
|Sleeping Bag Model
|Sea to Summit Altitude
|Ultralight 20D Nylon Shell
|Sea to Summit Ascent
|Ultralight 20D Nylon Shell
|TETON Regular Sleeping Bag
|KingCamp Cotton Flannel Sleeping Bag
|Hyke & Byke Snowmass
|400T 20 D Ripstop Nylon Fabric
This isn’t meant to be a review of these sleeping bags by any means, but we wanted to highlight some decent sleeping bags that are compatible with zipping together.
Pros and cons of zipping sleeping bags together.
Some people love the idea of zipping two sleeping bags together, while others prefer to stick with their individual bags. Here are some pros and cons to consider before trying it out.
- Increased Warmth: Zipping the bags together creates a pocket of warm air between them, providing extra insulation and keeping you warmer in colder weather.
- Intimacy: Sharing a sleeping bag can create a more intimate camping experience with your partner.
- Versatility: You can always unzip the bags and use them separately when needed.
- Compatibility: Not all sleeping bags are compatible for zipping together, so you may need to purchase specific types or brands of bags.
- Different Preferences: One person may prefer a warmer sleeping bag, while the other prefers a cooler one, which can cause discomfort when zipped together.
Are you going to zip your bags together?
Zipping two sleeping bags together is a great trick for camping couples. It’s a cozy, romantic way to share a sleeping space and stay warm on chilly nights. But before you get too excited, it’s important to make sure that both sleeping bags can be zipped together and to weigh the pros and cons before committing to this sleeping arrangement.
If you have any tips or tricks that you’ve used for zipping sleeping bags together, feel free to share them in the comments below.